Unveiling Creative Possibilities
Duration: 5 Saturdays | November 11, 18, December 2, 9 and 16, 2023
Time: 1:00 PM – 4:00 PM
Location: Arts IC | Artifactory at 120 N. Dubuque St., Iowa City, IA
Instructors: Our instructors have immersed themselves in thorough workshops, learned foiling and related techniques in workshops given here at the Artifactory. They’re excited to share their expertise and make this creative journey an enjoyable one for you!
Capacity: Limited to 8 participants per session.
- $25 per individual session
- Special package: $100 for all 5 sessions
- People registering for the Special Package only need to register for the Nov 11 session.
Overview: The Hot Stamp Foiling workshop series celebrates the art and technique invented by University of Iowa Art Professor, Virginia Myers. This creative journey welcomes participants of all levels, regardless of prior drawing or painting skills. It’s a unique opportunity to delve into the world of foiling, from mastering the fundamentals to exploring a variety of innovative methods. Each session offers a distinct focus, showcasing the diverse ways this captivating medium can be used.
Session 1: Mastering the Basics (Nov 11)
- Introduction to hot stamp foiling
- Applying polymer to paper: Techniques and nuances
- Selection of compatible paper and polymer
- Color transfer with the hot press
- Color mixing and design creation
Session 2: Incorporating Stencils and Objects (Nov 18)
- Utilizing stencils for controlled application
- Adding plant and other material for textured effects
- Techniques to restrict color application
Session 3: Advanced Techniques – Omitting and Occluding (Dec 2)
- Using printer’s ink, Elmer’s glue, and pencil graphite to omit/occlude areas
- Creating intricate patterns and designs
Session 4: Introducing Printmaking combined with Foil (Dec 9)
- Building a reusable printing plate
- Enhancing your prints with foil applications
- Session 4 printmaking will be further enhanced with foil in Session 5.
Session 5: Creative Card Making (Dec 16)
- Foiling in card design
- Exploring mixed media: Acrylic painting and calligraphy
- Participants can return to their printmaking from Session 4 to embellish with foil in this session. This will add an extra layer of depth and visual interest to their creations.
Materials Provided for Each Session:
- Foiling-ready paper
- Foil in various colors
- Stencil paper
- Printed images for practice
- Printer images and pencils (Session 3)
- Printmaking components (Session 4)
- Additional artistic materials for card making (Session 5)
- Other items such as scissors, paint brushes, and glue will also be available for use during the workshop.
Beppie Weiss will share her drawing experience of the human body. She has drawn and painted hundreds, maybe thousands, of portraits and people drawings, and will help you improve your own drawing skills. Our goal will be to understand how it all comes together, and be able to draw it with more accuracy.
Phil Dorothy Drawing Studio
A life drawing group in memory of our dear friend, Phil Dorothy. An environment to practice the art of drawing from life. Bring your own drawing materials which can include graphite, charcoal, pastels or watercolors.
Please register for each session.
Long Pose Studio Group
Join us in a new location at the PS1 Close House for the Long Pose Studio Group. Enter through the front door and proceed upstairs. Turn left at the top of the stairs and go to the dance hall. The model will maintain the same pose (with breaks) for the entire session. Bring your own drawing materials which can include graphite, charcoal, pastels or watercolors. Acrylics, water-based oils, and regular oils using odorless terpenoid will be allowed. We will be drawing from nude, partially clothed or dressed models. Must be over 18 to attend.